Thursday, September 8, 2016

CRUELTY FREE BEAUTY: Kate Johnson



Kate Johnson 
Cruelty Free Beauty Crusader 

Glamour Gal Kate Johnson is our featured cover girl for Spring 2016. She is on a crusade to empower and educate women about cruelty free beauty.

In this exclusive interview Kate talks all things beauty, balancing life as a business woman and her gorgeous range of cruelty free beauty lip glosses!


They say 'beauty comes from within'. What does beauty mean to you? 

Kate: "I think true beauty shines from within. Sitting in the makeup chair and taking amazing photos for clients only goes so far for me. I feel beautiful when I'm happy, and when I'm happy, I'm confident. And confidence is sexy. Doing the things you love in the company of those who matter most is happiness - it nourishes the soul the same way healthy food nourishes your body. And I have learnt that the happiest of people don't have the best of everything, but they do make the best of everything - so smile big…it's contagious!"


Natalie Roser Photography


In 2014 Kate launched her own lifestyle and beauty brand, which features her signature PETA certified #CrueltyFreeBeauty Lip Glosses. These bespoke Lip Glosses are delicious and best of all long-lasting. Celebrated by animal lovers around the globe, Kate Johnson's products are designed for women who promote a healthy and balanced lifestyle, and exemplify a respect for animals when choosing their personal beauty products.  

We love that your Lip Glosses are cruelty-free! Can you tell us more about your brand ‘KATE JOHNSON’ and your cruelty free beauty crusade? 

Kate: "It all started with my love of animals! Having worked as a professional model for 6 years and, at the time of my katejohnson.com.au online store launch, winning a beauty pageant, I found myself constantly surrounded by cosmetics; without really thinking about the ingredients, where they’re from, and more importantly whether the company tests on animals. The beauty industry has a lot to answer for, and I wanted to create a product that women can wear and love knowing it makes them feel gorgeous, though is also ethically sourced and PETA certified cruelty-free."




Kate: "I am always on the look out to improve my work-life balance; find a new, invigorating way to exercise or another healthy dish to include in my meal planning; and my beauty products are much the same. I prefer beauty products that are natural, organic, and at the very least cruelty-free."

Do you have a favourite Lip Gloss shade? 

Kate: "When I created my bespoke collection, having a mere six lip glosses in the range meant that I’ve taken the lamenting and guess work out of narrowing the choice (and usually dilemma) down from 30 to 1 favourite for making the simple choice of finding a single nude shade. I can’t pass up Swiss Alps (a sparkling clear shade) – it’s the most diverse in the range. Though I am always partial to Parisian Lace (a gorgeous light and bright Peony Pink shade). It makes me feel so girly and fresh when I wear it."




Kate - what’s your best beauty secret?  

Kate: "I get this one a lot! Moisture and skin protection. I moisturise daily (twice a day in winter or when I’ve had an organic spray tan) – Aesop Body Balm (full body) and Cactus Skincare (face). Despite my line of work and background as a model, I rarely wear makeup. Every day, since my mother taught me her trick when I was a teen, I never leave home without Cancer Council Australia approved 50+ UVA UVB broad-spectrum sunscreen. I tan to a nice golden shade naturally, and I do love the sun, though I can attribute my 30+ skin tone still looking 20+ thanks to keeping protected."

When it comes to your beauty routine, what's one beauty essential you must have in your makeup bag?

Kate: "To jazz up a casual outfit, or complete my look for a night out attending an event or gala, I always have one of my cruelty-free lip glosses in my clutch (that’s a given, opt for my go-to Parisian Lace). I’ll have the Ere Perez Amazing Arnica Concealer handy for a quick ‘fresh faced makeup look’ if I need to pop out for an urgent meeting and don’t have any makeup handy."



Kate keeps busy balancing life as a model, charity ambassador 
and business woman. She runs a multifaceted lifestyle brand, simply titled Kate Johnson that embodies the intelligent, elegant and health conscious women. 


The Kate Johnson lifestyle brand is designed for ‘women who promote a healthy & balanced lifestyle’ - just like our readers. What do you love most about being a female entrepreneur? 

Kate: "It’s an incredible feeling to find your ‘why’, pursue your dreams and work in a field that you’re passionate about. Waking up to a new challenge each day, meeting and working with like-minded professionals, traveling, working through set backs and kicking goals, it’s all part of the thrill of running a business! It’s an added bonus when you can share that with an amazing partner. I feel like there needs to be an alternative word…sure it’s work - or employment or income, or however you’d like to consider it. Though it almost has a negative spin, like a chore. When you do what you love, sure it’s long hours, though I love it and it’s worth it!" 




Kate Johnson is an absolutely gorgeous woman with a beautiful soul. When it comes to cruelty free beauty she means business. We love her passion and devotion to her beauty mission, it's truly inspiring! 















Kate Heussler (Kate Johnson) 

Website: kateheussler.com
Facebook: Facebook.com/KateHeussler

Instagram: Instagram.com/kateheussler
Twitter: Twitter.com/kateheussler





This cover story is featured in Eco Glamazine Spring 2016


Cover photo by Heidi Hannele Huttunen 
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave