Wednesday, October 5, 2011

ECO ANGEL: Ellen Degeneres



Ellen Degeneres  
laugh. dance. love (and be vegan)


Our October Eco Angel is Emmy Award winning actress, TV host & comedian Ellen Degeneres! Ellen is not only one of the most loveable ladies on daytime TV, she is also a Vegan and best selling author! Ellen's brand new book Seriously.... I'm Kidding hits book selves this week!  

Ellen: "I've experienced a whole lot the last few years and I have a lot to share. So I hope that you'll take a moment to sit back, relax and enjoy the words I've put together for you in this book. I think you'll find I've left no stone unturned, no door unopened, no window unbroken, no rug unvacuumed, no ivories untickled. What I'm saying is, let us begin, shall we?" 


Ellen's Emmy Award winning daytime TV series, The Ellen Degeneres Show is back for it's 9th season. "I'm on this planet doing some good and making people happy. That's to me the most important thing, that my hour of television is positive and upbeat and an antidote for all the negative stuff going on in life." During October Ellen is helping raise money for Breast Cancer Awareness Month with her giveaways and encourages you to donate to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. 




Ellen lives in Beverly Hills with her three dogs, four cats and Australian wife Portia de Rossi, the two have been married since 2008. Portia and Ellen are both Vegans and Ellen shares her Going Vegan lifestyle tips and delicious recipes on her website. 
Ellen's passion for animals is truly inspiring. She is involved with many charities and organisations including The Gentle Barn & Farm Sanctuary who rescues and rehabilitates animals and PetFinder.com an online database of thousands of shelter pets that are in need of a home. Ellen also co-owns a natural pet food company called Halo and also her Halo Pet Foundation who mission is to enhance the well-being of pets and the people who love them.  


Ellen: "Ever since I can remember I've loved animals. All kinds. Dogs, cats, birds – catbirds. All of 'em. When I was little all I wanted to be was a vetranar…a veteranari…it's hard to spell...I wanted to be a vet. One of the things I really believe is that if you're going to have pets you should treat them like you'd treat yourself. I don't mean you should treat them to new shoes or a fancy car – I'm talking about the basics; a nice bed, fun toys and good food. Anyway a few years ago I was looking for some pet food for one of my dogs who was allergic to everything…honestly, even his own fur. I tried everything, our vet tried everything and finally I found a little company that had the perfect food for him. It's called Halo, Purely for Pets. Besides making what I consider to be the best pet care products in the world, we also want to inform everybody on how to take great care of our pets."




Ellen's motto is be kind to one another and being so passionate about young people she recently became involved in an anti-bullying campaign, United Against Bullying. Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato have all spoken out about bullying on her show and how it has affected them. 


Last year Ellen launched her very own record company, ElevenEleven. The first artist to be signed to her new record label was Greyson Chance, who she discovered on Youtube. She has also now signed Tom Andrews and Jessica Simpson. 


Ellen makes us laugh (and dance) weekdays on her TV show, she embraces a healthy Vegan lifestyle, she loves animals and she generous dedicates time to helping charities and organisations! Ellen Degeneres is a truly inspiring & positive role model. Ellen is our October Eco Angel

Ellen Degeneres



 This is our Eco Glamazine October 2011 feature article.